Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Petition for Children

Petition for Children

Required documents for filing a petition for your child:

  • A Completed Form I-130;
  • Petitioner's proof of U.S. citizenship (valid U.S. passport and a plain copy of the page containing the biographic information and signature);
  • Petitioner's proof of residency in Brazil;
  • Child's birth certificate (original and a plain copy);
  • Married, divorced and/or widow children must present the original of their marriage, divorce and/or death certificates related to their marriages (original and copy); and
  • Filling fee. (Brazilian currency is also acceptable).


  1. If you are filing for more them one child, you must fill out a separate petition for each child.
  2. If you are filing for a stepchild, please provide the original and copy of your marriage certificate with the child's parent as well as any prior divorce and/or death decrees of previous marriages for you and child's parent. The child must have been under 18 years old on the day of your marriage to the child's parent.
  3. If the child was born out of wedlock (and the father is the petitioner), proof that a parent/child relationship exists or existed must be presented.
  4. If the child is over 21 and unmarried (divorced, widowed or never married), the unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) of the beneficiary may also immigrate on the same petition.
  5. If the child is married, the spouse and unmarried children (under 21 years old) of the beneficiary may also immigrate on the same petition. Beneficiary's marriage certificate and children's birth certificates are also necessary.
  6. In case of children who were adopted more than two years, the adoption documents are also necessary (adoption decree, legal guardianship decree, relinquishment of parental rights, etc.). The two-year period will count as of the date of the adoption decree or the date of the legal guardianship if the formal adoption followed. The adoption must have been completed before the child's 16th birthday.

Get Adobe Reader

  • Thread

    Some links in this page require Adobe Reader to be viewed and/or printed. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in your computer, please download it free of charge by clicking in the image logo.