Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Passports

Passports for Minor Children

The DS-11 (PDF 90KB) form must be used for passport applications for any minor applicants (under 16 years old).  In addition, both parents must consent to the issuance of a passport, both in first time applications and passport renewals.

Section 236 of the Admiral James W. Nance and Meg Donovan Foreign Relations Authorization Act requires that both parents execute a passport application on behalf of a minor under age 16; or, if only one parent executes the application, such parent must establish his or her custodial status or have the other non-applying parent's written consent and a statement indicating that exigent or special circumstances apply.

The written Statement of Consent — form DS-3053 (PDF 29KB) — from the non-applying parent and the statement indicating the exigent or special circumstances why he or she cannot sign in person must be signed and notarized. The exigent or special circumstances should be explained on the notarized Form DS-5525 (PDF 41KB) and parents may attach additional pages if necessary.

Statements notarized by foreign officials will be accepted but must be in English. The written statements are an integral part of the passport application and become part of the passport file.

An individual may apply in loco parentis on behalf of a minor under age 16 by submitting a notarized written statement or a notarized affidavit from both parents specifically authorizing the application and the statement indicating the exigent or special circumstances why both parents cannot sign in person.  However, if only one parent provides the notarized written statement or notarized affidavit, documentary evidence that such parent has sole custody of the child must be presented.

If only one parent executes the application, such parent must present a certified copy of the other non-applying parent's ID document.

To enhance the accurate identification of passport applicants and aid in the prevention of international child abduction and trafficking, the Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs requires the personal appearance of all minors applying for U.S. passports. This applies to all regular, official and diplomatic passports for children under the age of 16, even if the child has previously been issued a passport.

When applying for a U.S. passport for minors parents are required to have their child present and submit documentation of parental relationship and consent.

Required documents:

  • Documentation of parental relationship (e.g. the child's birth certificate and/or the child's Brazilian passport that gives the name of the parents)
  • Documents that prove U.S. citizenship (birth certificate or report of birth abroad)
  • Application forms:  
    • Complete DS-11 online and print.
    • If you experience trouble with the Passport Application Wizard, click on Form DS-11 (PDF 90KB).
    • DS-3053 (PDF 29KB) (Notarized Statement of Consent - if a parent cannot be present for the appointment).
    • DS-5525 (PDF 41KB) (Statement of Exigent/ Special Family Circumstances - if one parent cannot be located to give parental authorization)
  • One recent, color photograph 2x2 inches (5x5 cm)
  • In case of passport renewals, if the child's physical appearance has changed significantly since the last passport photograph, the Embassy/Consulate may request transitional photos as proof of identification.
  • Fee

More information about U.S. passport for minor children.

Get Adobe Reader

  • Thread

    Some links in this page require Adobe Reader to be viewed and/or printed. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in your computer, please download it free of charge by clicking in the image logo.