The DS-160 Visa Form
The DS-160 Visa Application Form
Nonimmigrant visa applicants applying for a visa are required to complete the new DS-160.
The DS-160 is web-based and once completed, transmits the applicant's data to the post where s/he will apply for the visa. As the data is collected electronically, it means that we will be able to conduct various forms of pre-processing and pre-screening in advance of the application which should reduce processing delays. It also means that applicants who apply for visas on a frequent basis can save their original application and simply submit the updated form.
The DS-160 form may be accessed at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
Before accessing the DS-160, please note the following points:
The DS-160 site has been experiencing intermittent connectivity issues. Please save your work frequently.
- The form must be completed in English;
- As you complete the visa application, review the information you entered, save a copy on your hard drive, CD or USB and ‘save' often;
- If asked the question "Have you attended any educational institutions other than an elementary school", you should list all educational institutions you have attended since the age of 11.
- Please provide accurate and complete responses to all questions, especially in fields such as “Name and Surname”, “Date of Birth”, “Sex”, “Other Names and “Visa Class.” You will be given an opportunity to review the information before submitting the form electronically. ANY errors on the form (even minor typographical errors) or incomplete information may result in a rescheduling of your appointment. You will NOT be allowed to interview until you have corrected all fields.
- If you fail to submit your application, your data will not be transmitted to the selected post.
- Review the Department of State photo specifications before uploading the photo. If your photo does not comply, it will be rejected;
- Select the correct location at which you will apply for the visa. If applying at the Embassy, please select Brasília, Brazil; if applying at the Consulate General in São Paulo, please select Sao Paulo, Brazil. The information you enter is sent electronically to the selected location when you submit your online application;
- Select the correct visa category under "Purpose of Travel to the United States" in the "Travel Information Section" - the drop down list will appear in answer to the question" Are you the Principal Applicant". If you do not see your visa category, click on "Other" for further information.
- Bring your confirmation sheet together with a 2"x2" photo (5x5cm or 5x7cm) to your interview.
A full list of nonimmigrant visa types may be found here.
New Visa Application Form
Applicants applying for visas in Brazil are required to complete the online Application Form DS-160. We will no longer accept the DS-156. Please follow this link for further information.